Sunday, July 19, 2009

kitchen tile

Garrett has been our little buddy helping with this next section of the kitchen. He's taking a breather right now. It's been fun and challenging having him stay with us this summer. I forgot what it's like having an eight year old around, much less a BOY! I still think girls are easier to raise!

We had to first lay down the backer board (thinset has to go down first), then it all has to be screwed down. This gives more strenght to the tile.

Now for the fun part, well I don't know if you really want to call tiling fun, but it sure makes the kitchen come alive!  I love this tile, it's so warm and inviting.

Almost half way done laying...
This center area that's not tiled will be our island and cafe booth. It will have hardwood floors-next phase.
Now for the grout, I personally think this is the hardest stage of laying tile.
Builder Mike smears the grout into all the cracks and I go through and scrub all the extra off the tiles, without taking any out of the cracks. I kinda wanted to go with a deep terra cotta color, but Builder Mike wanted a darker brown-it will probably go better with the cabinets and our dining table and the backsplash we plan on installing, the counter too (more photos to come when we get to that point).


This photo does not really show what the true color of the tile is, you need to come by the house for a  visit to see it.


The cabinets will be coming on Tuesday...YIPEE...There is still a bunch of work to do after the cabinets, but at least the major work is done!
By the way, the tiling and grouting was done all within the last 24 hours. I think our Lake Powell trip will be just the thing we need to rest.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

It looks good!!! I like the dark brown color.

Dandy said...

Love that tile!

Now I have to go back and see what you have done so far.